When you teach English online with Berlitz, you combine the flexibility and convenience to work from anywhere, with the satisfaction of helping to change the lives of your students through language.
Intellectually engaging, consistent, and accessible, a job teaching English online is a career that lets you earn money doing what you love, from anywhere in the world.
Online English Teacher Jobs
We offer language programs in over 75 countries across the globe, so you could find yourself teaching English online to enthusiastic students located anywhere from Dubai to Romania!
Check out our online jobs for English teachers.
Why teach English online with Berlitz
Interested in online jobs teaching English? There are so many great reasons to get a job as an online English teacher. For starters, you get to work with interesting people across the globe on a schedule that fits around your life! Check out our top nine reasons to teach English online with Berlitz below:
Skip the commute and work from wherever: When you teach English online you don’t have to commute to work. Simply plug in, connect to the internet and you can teach from wherever you happen to be: at home or on holidays— your lessons are as portable as you are.
- Teach students across the globe: One of the most interesting parts of an online English teaching job is the fascinating students you will meet from across the globe.
- Equal opportunity for your students: Online learning provides an opportunity for students who may be uncomfortable actively participating in traditional classroom settings to access learning opportunities in an online space. Online learning also opens the door for people with mobility and accessibility issues to gain important access to learning that can help shape and improve their lives. As an online English teacher, you provide equal opportunity for all people to learn English and achieve their goals. Now that’s work satisfaction!
- Autonomous classroom: As a Berlitz English tutor online, you’re in charge of your classes. Working independently, you enjoy discretion and autonomy in the delivery of your curriculum, and we encourage your development as a professional and a member of the global Berlitz family.
- Access to Berlitz Method and online teaching hub: When you start your online English teaching career with us, you will undergo an intensive five-day training program in our Berlitz Method. This world-renowned immersive methodology will set you up to deliver engaging, culturally aware, and interactive classes that get results. You will also gain 24/7 access to our teaching resources hub which will help you to plan and resource your lessons.
- Change lives through communication: Your work empowering students across the world to communicate in English will change lives. Granting access to learning to students who are unable to attend a classroom, you will open a world of opportunity for people to achieve their dreams.
- Environmentally friendly: Teaching English online is paperless, with all your class resources available for you and your students to access online, saving trees and time. As a bonus, with no one commuting to class, you’re helping to cut carbon from transport like cars, busses, and trains. Online teaching is a win for the planet.
- Engage and interact: Your job as an online English tutor will see you interact and engage with your students in real-time. With the Berlitz Method, you’ll have your students actively speaking English with you from your first lesson. You’ll spend most of your class time running fun and engaging activities that encourage active participation, meaning you and your students will never be bored!
- Tech at your fingertips: With an online classroom you have access to new and interesting tech that will make your English classes engaging, active and cutting edge. You’ll stay on top of tech trends and have a wealth of resources at your fingertips.
What makes a good online English teacher?
If you want to be a great online English teacher, there are a few qualities you should cultivate:
Learning a new language can be daunting, so the ability to communicate clearly with non-English speakers is an absolute must if you want to be an online English tutor. You will need to cultivate clear communication skills that eliminate ambiguity, so you can confidently help your students to achieve their best.
Time management skills
Your online English classes are all goal focused, helping your students to reach new milestones every lesson. This means as an online English teacher, you need excellent time management skills to ensure you get through the activities and allow enough time for your students to absorb the learning, ask questions and get feedback on their development.
Support and encouragement
Students thrive when they feel comfortable, valued, and supported. As an English teacher online, you need to provide an encouraging, warm and welcoming space where students can explore language, make mistakes and develop with your encouragement.
Just like you, your students will come to class with their own cultural nuances and differences. It’s important when working in your job as an online English teacher. with people from across the globe that you are sensitive to these differences and provide a safe and empathetic space for learning.
As an online English trainer, you will need to know your way around technology. You will need to understand how to host an online class, share resources online, and troubleshoot camera or audio issues that arise during the lesson.
Love of teaching
We saved the best for last! It’s vital as an online teacher that you actively enjoy teaching. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and your students will instinctively know if you are passionate about teaching and will respond in kind.
About Berlitz: why you should get an online English teaching job with us
Become part of a world-renowned teaching institution with over a century’s experience empowering people through language.
- Even though you’ll teach English online, you won’t be alone. We’ll support you every step of the way, from immersive training to a wealth of resources and ongoing professional development.
- You will receive full training in our immersive Berlitz Method. Known as the fastest way to learn a language, the Method is based on immersion and cultural learning, so your students will graduate with a confident, practical command of the English language.
- You will develop strong English language teaching techniques that will serve you for a life-long portable career, wherever you happen to be.
- Tutoring English online with us, you’ll meet interesting people from across the globe. No two days will be the same, and you’ll enjoy rich, meaningful work every day.
Online English Teaching Levels
We segment our learners into five standardized proficiency levels: Functional, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced, and Professional. Working online, your schedule may include classes with students across all five proficiency levels in small group classes, private lessons, or a combination of both.
More about proficiency levels
Online jobs teaching English at Berlitz FAQs
As an English teacher working online, you will need a stable, wired internet connection with a minimum of 5 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload speed. You will also need your own laptop, desktop or Mac, a USB headset and a camera.
You will start your online teaching career with us, with a five-day Berlitz Method training course. Here, you’ll learn valuable skills in immersive teaching, that will serve you for your whole teaching career.
We believe to fully comprehend language, cultural understanding needs to be a part of the learning process. That’s why, at Berlitz, you will teach your online English students the cultural nuance that accompanies the language, so they learn to speak fluently in any situation.
You will have full access to our Berlitz Learning Center teaching resources to help you plan and run your classes.
Berlitz recruiting process
Review the position and research Berlitz. Complete the application.
Meet with a recruiter to talk about the position and your experience. Learn more about Berlitz. Ask questions!
VIQP (Virtual Instructor Qualification Program)
Familiarize yourself with the Berlitz method. Learn how to work with our teaching platform and materials.
Order VIQP and Onboarding varies depending on location
Complete the necessary paperwork. Tasks to complete vary depending on your location.
Finalize your availability. Review the instructor portal.
That's it! You are ready to make a real impact on a student's life!
Is there demand for online English teachers? ›
There's a particular need for online TEFL teachers, as there's a huge demand for English language learning in Asia, especially in China. You'll be able to earn an income while building your experience interacting with international students and maintaining the flexibility of an online job.What is the best ESL online company to work for? ›
- Open English Junior. ...
- Preply. ...
- Hallo. ...
- Learnlight. ...
- Lyngo. ...
- Skyeng Talks. ...
- SkimaTalk. ...
- italki. Another popular online ESL marketplace is italki, where teachers get hired based on their qualifications and introduction video.
Generally speaking, online English teachers typically make anywhere between $10 - $40 USD per hour depending on their level of qualification. If you're a first-time English teacher with a TEFL certification, you will likely be making $10-$20 per hour to start.How do I become a virtual English tutor? ›
What do you need to teach English online? To teach online successfully, you'll need a secure and reliable Internet connection, a Zoom or Skype account, and a TESOL/TEFL certificate. Generally, it's also important to be a native English speaker. Finally, most important is a friendly, patient, and punctual personality.How hard is it to teach English online? ›
Teaching English is very easy for students who have skills already—those who are in the intermediate and advanced levels. But for those who really don't have any skills and knowledge about English (we call them beginners), it's really difficult.Does teaching English online pay well? ›
Most first-time online-English teachers can make $10-$20 an hour (if you are a fluent English speaker with a TEFL certification) and sometimes more, especially as you gain more experience or if you have advanced credentials (like a teaching degree).How much does Zebra English pay? ›
Zebra English advertises a base pay rate of US$16-24 per hour, made up of two 30-minute class slots (for each you'll be paid $8-12).What is the best platform to teach English online? ›
It depends on your qualifications, but right now the best options are Preply, Cambly, and Italki because you can work remotely and you set the pay rate. There are lots of online teaching jobs out there, but if you want to teach English online, you need to make sure you're going with a reputable company.Which is the top paying ESL? ›
Generally speaking, the highest-paid ESL teaching salaries globally are found in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the two biggest cities in the UAE. Salary packages for teachers in the United Arab Emirates can range between $3,500-$5,500 (12,300-22,000 AED) per month, depending on experience.Are English teachers in high demand? ›
Yes, and here are just a few of the reasons why there's a global demand of English teachers: English language-related teaching positions open every year, with California employing the most ESL teachers in the United States.
Can you still teach English online 2022? ›
That being said, you can still teach English online with no experience, zero degrees, and no TEFL certificate. If you are a native English speaker, the odds are already in your favor. For the best jobs teaching English online though, you are going to want some sort of certification at least, like a TEFL certificate.Where are English teachers most in demand? ›
- South Korea ($1,850-$2,650 USD a month)
- China ($1,200-$2,600 USD a month)
- Japan ($1,700-$2,600 USD a month)
- Taiwan ($2,000-$3,000 USD a month)
- Gulf Arab States ($2,000-$5,000 USD a month)
- Honorable Mention: Vietnam ($1,500-$2,000 USD a month)